There is no set age for having plastic surgery. There are many different reasons why patients choose to undergo plastic surgery. These factors include:
- Health effects caused by physical deformities or changes
- Low self-esteem due to physical appearance
- Low life satisfaction due to physical appearance
- Social media and media consumption
- To attract a romantic partner
- To enhance a problem body area
- To keep up with current celebrity trends.
Before deciding to have a procedure done or scheduling a consultation, consider why you want the surgery. Plastic surgery patients must have realistic expectations and understand both the benefits and risks of the procedure.
Dr. Lett, a plastic surgeon at The Lett Center identifies a few factors, such as unrealistic expectation that should make you reconsider making a change.
“Typical indicators are a person had multiple surgical procedures for the same complaint, went and sought multiple different surgeons and have an expectation that is incredibly unrealistic,” he said in a recent interview with WRKN-TV Nashville.
He has had to turn away some potential patients due to their unrealistic expectations that can be attributed to body dysmorphic disorder, a condition where a person constantly notices and dwells on body imperfections.
Potential patients should also consider their overall health, previous surgeries and overall motivations before making a change.
Some common questions a patient should ask a surgeon during a consultation to ease some last minute jitters or increase knowledge of the surgery include:
- Am I a good candidate for this type of procedure?
- Can I see some before and after photos of work you have done?
- Have you performed this surgery before? How many times?
- What are all the risks and benefits associated with this surgery?
- What exactly does the surgery entail?
- What is the recovery period like?
If you are interested in a specific plastic surgery procedure or would like to learn more, schedule a consultation today.