According to Health Day, recent research indicates that obese women may feel more compelled to have weight loss surgery than men.
The research was recently published in the Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques.
The study, conducted between 1998 and 2010, followed more than 190,000 patients who had undergone weight loss surgery. It found that women undergo the surgery more often for a number of reasons including:
- Women are less satisfied with their overall health than men.
- Women seem to have a better awareness of the risks that accompany obesity.
- Women tend to be more proactive in making a lifestyle change, as men wait later in life to attempt to undergo the surgery. Often by this time, their age and overall health make them ineligible.
- Women are also more affected by society’s standards, media expectations and physical body appearance.
The findings also indicate that obesity is a 50-50 rate between men and women. Despite this, about 80 percent of women decide to undergo the surgery, as opposed to only 20 percent of men. Some consider it a wake-up call for men and their health.
“The results of this study should raise awareness in men about the complications that obesity brings to their health,” senior study author and chief of the division of minimally invasive surgery at the University of California, San Diego Dr. Santiago Horgan.
Although men may not be as interested in weight loss surgery as a whole, they are interested in changing their appearance in other ways. These changes include tummy tucks, liposuction and wrinkle smoothing treatments.
If you are interested in making a weight loss or body contour change, male or female, The Lett Center has a range of procedures available. These include:
- Liposuction: Liposuction is a body-sculpting procedure used to remove fat that is not responsive to dieting and exercise. There are many reasons why a patient may consider liposuction such as to create a more proportional figure, to eliminate fat in the back, stomach, hips or calves and ankles. Liposuction is not a replacement for diet and exercise, but can help with stubborn problem areas that plague patients.
- VASER Liposelection: VASER lipo can sculpt many body areas including the arms, neck, waist and buttocks. Its ultrasonic waves break up and separate fat cells, allowing them to be removed without harming vital body tissues. VASER lipo can provide curves and definition, remove large quantities of fat and create tight results.
- Fat Transfer: A fat transfer is performed on patients who would like to decrease fat in specific areas while restoring or adding volume to other areas of the body. A fat transfer can improve body contours and create a more rejuvenated appearance. Read more about a fat transfer procedure here.
Whether you would like to make a small or big body change, The Lett Center can help you achieve your greatest body desires. Visit our website to learn more or to schedule a consultation.