As plastic surgery procedures continue to enhance the natural beauty of those who choose to undergo them, there continues to be a growing subset of patients: men.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, there has been a 273 percent increase in the number of procedures performed on male patients since 1997. Similar to women, men also want to enhance their best features and eliminate any factors that may age them or cause unsightly changes. A recent survey found that the most popular male surgical procedures include:
- Liposuction: With age, fat deposits often build in the abdominal area, as well as the hips and chest. Liposuction, the most commonly performed procedure in the U.S., removes the fat from these areas and contours the remaining fat and skin into a more shapely appearance.
- Gynecomastia correction: Hereditary disposition and hormonal imbalances often cause men to overdevelop breast tissue. By correcting the issue through the removal of excess glandular tissue, in addition to liposuction, the contour of the chest can be improved.
Plastic surgery is being undergone by patients of all genders, shapes, and ages.
- Hair transplantation: Loss of hair can be extremely detrimental to men, especially during the aging process. Hair loss can be corrected through a range of transplant procedures, giving men back the appearance they desire.
- Botox: Injections of Botox block signals from the nerves of the face to the muscles that cause wrinkles and other unsightly changes in the face. By blocking these, the muscles of the face can relax naturally.
- Eyelid surgery: Drooping eyelids can age the face. By undergoing this type of procedure, men can regain the youthful appearance of their past. Between 2010 and 2015, eyelid procedures increased by 34 percent.
Once thought of as only an option for women, plastic surgery is being undergone by patients of all genders, shapes, and ages to enhance their appearance and increase self-confidence.