This Father’s Day, give your dad the gift of youthful skin for his special day. Just like women, many men want to look their best and know the value of taking care of their skin. According to data released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 1.3 million cosmetic procedures in 2018 were done on men. The men getting cosmetic procedures and plastic surgeries aren’t looking for the same type of results that women choose. Find out which cosmetic procedures men like, and what they hope to achieve.
Botox for Men
Just like women, men are looking to erase some signs of aging with skin care. One of the easiest ways to smooth wrinkles and preserve younger-looking skin is with Botox. This procedure has a well-known name, but for some, what it does remains mysterious. Some misconceptions about Botox have even left stigma around it. Knowing what Botox does and doesn’t do can help men understand why it can be an excellent choice for cosmetic treatment.
Botox Myths and Misconceptions
- A frozen face: Botox works by relaxing muscle movement. This frozen face stigma has come about from practitioners who went overboard and administered excess amounts of product in the patient’s skin. While it is possible for this to happen, doing your research and choosing a doctor with training, experience, and good reviews will ensure you get great results. In 2018, 7.4 million people in the United States used Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin. This makes it the number one minimally-invasive cosmetic procedure administered, which would not be the case if frozen faces were the norm.
- It is toxic: Botox is classified as an injectable neurotoxin, which makes it seem dangerous. This injectable has over 16 years of published studies and is widely studied and approved. The neurotoxin works by stopping neural transmissions at the neuromuscular junction. While it may sound complex, in short, it reduces the amount the muscle can move, so it relaxes. Botox is safe because the dose administered is very minimal, and the injection site is right at the area needing treatment.
- It’s only for women: This cosmetic procedure is used across a wide range of demographics, men included. Each patient has their own aesthetic skin goals, so the product can be used as needed according to each person. Botox doesn’t change the way you look; it only stops specific facial muscles from flexing. The minimal visual effect makes it a great choice for men who want a subtle treatment to reduce wrinkles and slow the signs of aging, without looking as if they had work done.
Why Men Choose Botox
- It’s nonsurgical: Many men wish to improve their appearance but at a less noticeable level that women prefer. A nonsurgical option like Botox can give subtle results with no recovery time needed. There are no scars left behind with this type of injection.
- The effects aren’t drastic: While women wish to irradicate wrinkles totally, many men will opt only to lighten their appearance. Botox can make a deep wrinkle relax and not get worse without totally removing it. Some men prefer to keep some wrinkles, and by choosing a procedure that doesn’t completely erase the lines, there is less worry about someone knowing a cosmetic procedure has been performed.
- It isn’t permanent: Botox is not a permanent injectable. Over time, the product leaves the skin, and the muscles will gain motility again. This makes it easy to adjust treatment areas and levels as time goes on. If desired, treatments can be stopped with no ill effects; the muscles will gain movement and wrinkles will again form naturally.
Face Lift for Men
Many men desire more striking results than Botox can provide, and that is where a facelift surgery for men comes in. A facelift can improve sagging skin, wrinkles, facial volume loss, and excess skin. When the skin begins to get loose and sag, facial contours can be lost, like the jawline. A men’s facelift can preserve masculine features like a sharp jawline and tighten any face and neck skin needed in this area.
A facelift is minimal to moderately invasive, and general anesthesia is used to reduce pain and discomfort. There are some types of facelifts that are less invasive with less chance of a visible scar. The cosmetic surgeons at The Lett Center can help you decide what type of procedure will be needed to achieve your desired look. Depending on the type of cosmetic procedure chosen, a facelift may take 2 to 4 weeks of recovery time. Downtime should be taken into consideration when selecting a surgery procedure. There may be noticeable bruising and swelling during the healing process.
Unlike Botox, a facelift is a permanent surgery to improve wrinkles and give the skin a youthful look. A full facelift can last up to 15 years, which is much longer than the few months Botox affects the skin after a treatment. Genetics, age, and skincare after a facelift can determine how long the desired results will last. People who get this procedure under age 60 will generally see the results for a longer period. Lifestyle choices like eating healthy, drinking water, using sun protection, and not smoking will let patients enjoy their youthful appearance longer.
Investing in a quality skincare routine can will help skin look younger and preserve the results of treatment like Botox of a facelift. The Lett Center in TN offers a custom, high-quality skincare product line. They also offer clients top brands like Epionce, Revision, Skinmedica, and Theraderm. Shop our store to learn more about how each product treats different types of skin aging issues.
On the third Sunday in June, the Lett Center can make sure your father’s day is celebrated with the gift of skincare. The Lett Center in Mt. Juliet and Lebanon, TN, offers many face procedures like Botox, facelift, and skincare products that will make your dad feel great about his skin. Contact us to schedule an appointment or to ask any questions you may have at 615.443.0901. Our doctors are board certified and experienced in men’s cosmetic procedures of many kinds.