A microdermabrasion appointment could be just the thing you need to prepare for spring. Consider it a spring cleaning for your face.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, microdermabrasion can:
- Correct or reduce sun damage, acne scars or fine lines
- Give your skin a bright, healthy glow
- Maintain already healthy, clear skin
- Unclog pores and treat blackhead or whitehead outbreaks.
The treatment exfoliates dead skin and stimulates growth of collagen, creating a more youthful appearance. Microdermabrasion is a low-risk, noninvasive procedure that can also enhance face moisture by increasing absorption rates through decreasing dead, unhealthy skin.
Although it can be used to treat skin discolorations or fine lines, it cannot treat deeper-set lines. It is not a treatment for more serious skin conditions such as deep acne, active rosacea, eczema or dermatitis.
Two common methods of this procedure include Crystal Microdermabrasion and Diamond-Tip Microdermabrasion. A Nashville cosmetic surgery aesthetician of The Lett Center will spray small crystals across your face during the procedure. Mixing the gentle abrasions with suction, outer layers of dead skin will be removed. A treatment could last between a half an hour to an hour, though it can vary patient to patient.
After your treatment it is recommended to:
- Apply a moisturizer to mild redness or swelling of skin.
- Wait 24 hours before performing any strenuous activity.
- Wear a sunscreen that will fully protect you from UV rays.
Results can vary with skin rejuvenation treatments. For the best results, be sure to follow all personal aftercare recommendations. More than one treatment is often necessary to achieve the results you desire.